Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Position Matters

I love riding bikes. Both trail and road bike. I don't get to do it enough, but I have enough cycling gear to make me look like I should be awesome at it.
This is an old picture when we brought bikes hoping to ride during a camping trip.
From Camping 08 small group

I went to Lincoln Parish Park riding the trails with Derek Joyce a couple Mondays ago and I noticed how high he had his seat. I had always kept my seat position relatively low because when ever we were riding with the kids, I was constantly hopping on and off the bike to help Ethan or Caleb out. It felt more convenient being lower.
When I rode with Derek that day I was getting tired pretty early (a major result of not having ridden in a while and generally not staying in shape). Halfway through the ride we made the adjustment and raised my seat up. It felt strange. I did notice a big difference on my legs. I could tell immediately I was being more efficient with every stroke. It was pretty cool. Still, I was DONE riding for the day. I was exhausted putting my bike in the car, and I watched Derek take off to do a second lap.

I was able to ride again by myself on Monday and I began with the seat in this new position. At the point where last time I had to stop to catch my breath, I only paused for a little water. I made the entire trail in about an hour and 20 minutes (not exactly sure - I don't have one of those computer things on my mountain bike) and I felt great. I wasn't feeling like taking another lap yet, but I felt great. It had everything to do with that higher seat position. Now I did have a little trouble. I was having to adjust my riding style. I found myself leaning forward too much. Which can give you trouble with the back tire slipping while climbing. This also contributed to my minor crash as I went over the handle bars when trying to go through a creek bottom. Still, I can't deny the positive effect this new position had on my riding.

I started thinking about my position. Not my position on abortion, or my political position, or my position on the economy. We already have plenty of people defending all those positions. This morning I read Luke 18:9-14 and saw how much the position of our heart matters. Two men went to the same place to worship and pray. One man's heart position was high on himself and the other was humble. Jesus clearly lifts up in the story the man with the humble heart. What is your position?

I am praying that God will help me to ride high on the bike, but humble in my heart. It will probably feel strange at times adjusting to the position, but I can't deny the positive effect this position will have on me.

No comments: