Monday, December 14, 2009

Haunted House

Well inspired by a book I read and really enjoyed. We turned our garage into a Haunted House.

It was incredible. I had so much fun working with my friend Graham and the kids setting it up. My hope was that it would be a fun simple way of connecting with neighbors. We even had a little bucket out raising money for Heifer International and we collected almost $20 (I think we bought a flock of ducks - I don't remember right now).


I told the older kids we couldn't make it so scary that the little bitty trick or treaters would be scared. We made stuff like peeled grapes for eyes, slime for guts, cold noodles for brains and baby carrots for fingers... all ingredients for some gross experiment or something.
The kids in the neighborhood started giving tours to all the other kids who showed up. They would even wander down the street inviting people to come. At one point there was about 15-20 adults in my driveway with who knows how many kids running around in my garage. Everyone was talking and having fun. I was excited to meet some new people in our community and also just visit with neighbors.

I am now looking forward to next Halloween.

No comments: