Sunday, April 20, 2008

THE CUT

Well, it only took 1 year and 2 months. I had to get to 8 inches to donate my hair to be made into a wig for someone who lost their hair because of cancer. I went with Pantene's wig program called Beautiful Lengths. Mainly because their requirements were only for 8 inches.

Here are some pictures(Ethan took most of them):

This experience was much harder than I would have ever thought. I never realized hair was such a big deal. Ever since my hair started getting significantly longer than I had ever grown it before. I began having conversations literally every single day about hair. Never in my life would I have ever talked this much about hair. I would have women that I hardly knew that go to church with me. Come up and touch my hair and tell me how beautiful it is. Asking me questions I never thought I would have to answer: "what do you do to have such good hair? How do you take care of it? Is it naturally curly or do you curl it?..." I never realized the significance of hair until I grew it out. It really means a lot to people. While I am very glad to have cut it off. I was tired of the head bands and everything else I can now sympathize with women with long hair. I am realizing that the hair I am donating will hopefully give some woman a sense of peace and confidence in a time of trouble in her life. Because after every conversation I have had over the last year... I now realize: hair is important.

What is funny is my hair has been trained over the last year to be pulled back in a head band. Now that it is short... it wants to stick up and out all crazy.

Well, one of the things that I was praying when I first started all this was that I wanted this to be a reminder to myself of how I wanted my life to be a living sacrifice. I don't know how much that actually happened. It certainly started feeling like a sacrifice, because I was so tired of the long hair. I don't know that I will ever do that again, but I look back at this year and I hope that God has used me to make a difference in his world. And it wasn't just the hair...

2 comments:

wessf said...

Yeaaay! Good jarb there, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Steve! Between digging for wells in Africa and this, you and Jill continue to inspire. It's great to see my friends giving so much of themselves for others. Thanks.