Friday, November 2, 2007

The Reading List

My goal will be to read these 4 books over the next year. (see earlier post) So here is the Official List(in no particular order):
- "Cost of Discipleship" Bonhoeffer
- "Manana" by Justo Gonzalez
- "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer
- "For the Life of the World - Sacraments and Orthodoxy" Alexander Schmemann (I just love saying his last name for some reason) You can read a sample here.

Unfortunately Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey got kicked off the list. I have already read one of his books and you(the voting audience) didn't give him enough votes.

I started reading Schmemann's book by accident. I entered into conversation with Joey Koskie about this reading list of mine. He hands me the book off his desk and I just intended to sample the book and then decide. While it is a harder of a read than I am used to, I was drawn in by the first chapter. So It is on the list. I had to read the first chapter twice to really understand it and it is taking weeks to only be on page 63, but it is a good book. It was first published in 1963. He walks us through the sacraments and I would say Liturgy of the church to answer this question: "When, we Christians , confess that Christ died for the life of the world. What life is both motivation, and the beginning and the goal of Christian mission?" What is this abundant life we claim to offer to this world?

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

So, are going to let us know what you thought of each one? I particularly want to know what you think of "Cost of Discipleship".

SteveM said...

Absolutely. I plan on sharing. Online accountability - a little intimidating. Well, I am about 1/3 of the way done with "for the life of the world" by Schmemann. (still love saying that name).

Actually the first chapter of this book I would say is a must read. He discusses this idea that there is not supposed to be a separation of sacred and profane in our life. Through Christ our lives have been totally redeemed. The way he presents it shook my world view a little bit.